Compared with other garments, there is something extra enjoyable about making coats. I sat down and tried to put my finger on exactly what about coat making is it that I love?
- It could be the preparation leading up to the big project. It’s not an item you decide to make off the cuff. I’ll have the pattern selected, main fabric, lining and closures all ready to go before I start.
- The knowledge that even though I am buying high end fabric for a coat, it will save me hundreds of dollars compared to purchasing an equivalent piece.
- My confidence doesn’t waver on fabric selection for coats as much as it does for other garments. If it is soft, warm, and snuggly, I can’t go too far wrong. Plus, I love to put surprising linings (like the adorable prints you can find at ClearIt on Brunswick Street) inside coats and that makes them totally unique to me.
- A coat usually has a relaxed fit and I choose styles without a defined waist, which means I don’t go through the dilemmas of fitting.
- Last of all, people notice coats! I think it might be due to the prolific wearing of puffer jackets and slickers. When people see a coat that looks warm and not typical, they comment and I get the chance to tell them “I made it!”
Leave a Reply