Click on the dates in the below drop down box to see all the courses we currently have scheduled. Scroll down to read all about this course.
Learn to sew from the very beginning as we take you through all the basics of sewing. You’ll get an understanding of the sewing machine, machine sewing techniques and start trouble shooting problems at the machine yourself. You’ll get to know what you want in a sewing machine if you haven’t yet purchased one. We’ll introduce you to terminology, tools, patterns, fabric selection, cutting technique and achieving professional results.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sewing Basics for Beginners – click here.
Run over 3 consecutive weeks in 3 hour weekly workshops. Each workshop runs same day and time each week.
What You Will Learn
- Week 1: Threading and setting up your machine, using sewing kit tools, getting familiar with the terminology.
- Week 2: All about zippers and inserting an exposed zip, understanding and using interfacing, the anatomy of fabric.
- Week 3: Tracing out, cutting technique, sewing at seam allowance, bagging out a lining.
What You Get
- Detailed handouts at each weekly workshop.
- Experienced and friendly teachers to take you through everything from the very beginning.
- No need to bring anything. We have smooth running Janome machines (supplied by Statewide Sewing Centres).
What You’ll Be Making
- Week 1: A felt lined fabric wallet perfect for your ipod or myki
- Week 2: A zippered toiletries case with interfacing
- Week 3: A fully lined sling bag with boxed out corners
Fast Tracked Sewing Basics…
Sometimes we offer this course in a fast passed three-nights-in-one-week schedule.
See below for the currently offered dates.