Your fabric stash.
I heard about a sewing enthusiast recently who only buys fabric for a project. She makes that project and only then buys fabric when she has the next project planned and ready to start. I was seriously impressed – that is incredible will power! I am obviously not like that…
So, as soon as I saw this campaign I loved it. I am just as guilty as the next Fabricophile of having a huge fabric stash.
In its 2nd year the challenge is: to make garment(s) that we will love and wear, using fabric that has been in the stash for more than 6 months.
The concept was created by Time to Sew and Pillar, they even organised prizes for those that get involved and use the campaign tag on Instagram. Why not follow the tag for great inspiration? The competition element of this challenge continues until June, but there is no reason not to keep on challenging yourself all year round.
There are so many reasons why you should incorporate #MakeYourStash into all your sewing plans:
- It’s going to save you money.
- It’s going to free up space!
- You might rediscover some real treasures hiding in the pile(s).
- You won’t be growing the demand for newly produced material.
- When someone compliments your new garment, you won’t be able to help yourself but tell them how “it was in my stash”.
- Most importantly you will be keeping that fabric from going into landfill (it’s a harsh reality, but if we don’t use our stashes, that’s where they are going to wind up).
Click on the pic to head to the Time to Sew blog and read about this great challenge.